Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hospice doesn't always mean- "death bed" know the facts-& teach someone else.

You probably didn't log on here today to READ/HEAR this, but it has really been on my heart heavy to share. People say to me that when I post bible verses "tattered & torn" they always are right on time. I believe that it isn't because of me, but because God had the timing set just then and knew that this particular person would need to hear a WORD from the Lord-- so I thank God for the UNCTION to post these bible verses daily...and other information--- if it helps one person-- it is worth it!

So wait for it.....here it comes. HOSPICE -- when people hear or see this word they only think DEATH, but what I want you to think is... Quality of life vs. Quantity, more time with loved ones in your home-- less hospital visits... ability to make decisions about your care vs. everyone else making them for you.


Here are a couple of myths about HOSPICE services-

Myth: Hospice is only for CANCER patients

Truth: Hospice services are available to patients who have AIDS, ALS, ALzheimers/Dementia, Cancer, Heart disease, HIV, Kidney Failure, Liver disease, Lung disease, Neurological diseases--and more-

Myth: Hospice is just here to speed up the dying process.

Truth: Hospice is designed to provide comfort, peace and dignity while dying. Check out these statistics on HOSPICE -- "patient lives 2.7 months longer" http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/home_health_hospice_and_elder_care/hospice_care_statistics_85,P00608/

 
My Personal experience with HOSPICE: Personally we have used Hospice services with my grandmother & my great aunt. I was able to crawl up in the bed with my grandma and talk, pray and listen to stories-- she was able to enjoy her own home, her own surroundings. She made decisions about her care-- she was able to go out to the back yard and watch the birds--we were able to serve her with her WISHES not ours! She told us while she was able she didn't want tubes, ventilators-- nothing that would keep her alive. Her belief was simple-- when God is ready for me-- I am ready and cutting me, keeping me alive and all that just isn't what I want --- I want to be able to understand what is going on around me. We followed through we her wishes-- My grandma didn't give up-- she was a fighter and she FOUGHT for her right to live her days the way she wanted!! Hospice isn't giving up. We were educated enough on the services and had researched enough to bring them in earlier vs. later. Statistics show that many people who don't know anything about the service will only receive about 2 weeks of a service that could have been used for months-- My grandmother had HOSPICE for over 5 months and my aunt had them for about three.

Hospice Services can include: Up to 2 hours of C.N.A. assistance in the home for 5 days a week, assistance with paying for medicines, briefs and other medical equipment, RN visit weekly, social worker, access to a chaplain and other spiritual services.

How is it paid for: If you have traditional insurance, Medicare or Medicaid-- Hospice is usually a covered benefit and if your grandmother was like mine--she EARNED the benefit to use it!

If grandma is falling lots and in and out of the hospital over and over and over for different reasons-- it may be time to call and ask about Hospice. If grandpa has Alzheimer’s and is beginning to be a handful...it may be time to call Hospice. If Uncle Jimmy has decided to stop all chemo and radiation...it may be time to call Hospice. If Aunt Louise has decided that dialysis is just too much and she wants to come home and REST...it may be time to call Hospice.

Call me and let me know if you need someone to be evaluated or if you want me to talk to your loved ones doctor--

If it is mentioned to you by the doctor or your case worker at a hospital-- don't shy away from it. Ask questions- get the answers you need and have a serious conversation about it. When you are the only caregiver in the home or having to help-- you would surprise at the assistance the HOSPICE team will provide to you and your family in times of need. These are services that many patients have worked hard for all their lives and they have earned the right to choose to use the service.

How can I get the service started? If you or your family lives in SC- You can call 803 329 4544 and ask for Travise Smith -- leave me a message and I will get back in touch with you. If you see me in the grocery store or at the hospital making rounds-- stop me and let's talk!

Note-- I don't sell services--- I share them!! Agape Senior  has an entire gammet of services from REHAB, Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing, Hospice & more!!

The death talk-

No comments:

Post a Comment